Blog Details

Navigating Insurance Claims: A Comprehensive Guide for Accident Victims

If you have ever been in an accident, you understand how complicated the automobile insurance compensation system is. It can be challenging to determine and access the applicable accident benefits. Accident benefits are a crucial part of the automobile compensation system. However, understanding what you are entitled to and how to access the benefits can be overwhelming. After an accident, you may be wondering what the first step of submitting a claim in Canada is. A lawyer can answer your questions and guide you through the claim process.

How Long Do You Have to Make an Insurance Claim?

After an accident, you should report to your insurance agent, broker, or company within seven days. If you do not report the accident within a reasonable time, the insurance company can fail to honour your claim. You should have the following information when calling insurance after an accident:

  • Make, model, and licence plate number of your vehicle
  • Your insurance policy number
  • Date, time, and location of the accident
  • The location of vehicle damage
  • The list of your injuries

Police / accident Report

  • Whether passengers were involved
  • The names and licence numbers of other drivers involved in the accident
  • Your description of the accident

How Long Does an Insurance Company Have to Investigate a Claim in Ontario?

Insurance companies must act fast to investigate cases and make determinations. The insurance company should complete the investigation within 30 days. The insurer must provide a written explanation if it can’t complete the investigation within this period. After the initial letter, the insurer will give you a case update every 45 days.

How Much Money Do You Get from a Car Accident Settlement in Ontario?

Your claim for Accident Benefits cannot be settled prior to the one year Anniversary of the accident date.  The amount you can get after an accident will vary depending on the circumstances of the accident and a variety of other complex factors. That’s why you need an experienced lawyer to work on your behalf and ensure you receive as much as possible in each case.

When No Insurance Coverage Is Available

It is illegal to operate a vehicle without insurance coverage. What happens if you are injured in an accident, and no other insurance is available? In this case, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund is the go-to option for compensation. You may be eligible for compensation for the injuries you suffer and property damage. You can claim:

  • Accident benefits if you suffer an injury in the accident
  • Death and funeral expenses compensation on behalf of a victim who dies in the accident
  • Personal injury compensation or Income Loss Claim

Applying For The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund

You can seek compensation from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund only if you have no access to any other insurance and you meet the following requirements:

  • You reside in Ontario
  • You were involved in a vehicle accident in Ontario, and the involved parties had no auto insurance
  • You suffered injuries.

Perhaps you do not have insurance, and you suffered injuries in a car accident. You might be eligible for compensation if:

  • You were not in the vehicle at the time of the accident. For example, you could have been cycling or walking, and a vehicle driver without insurance hit you.
  • You were a passenger in a car where the driver was uninsured.
  • You were involved in a hit-and-run accident, whereby you cannot identify the other vehicle.

How To Apply for Accident Benefits

When applying for accident benefits, you will need the following documents:

  • A duly filled and signed Statutory Accident Benefits Application, abbreviated as OCF-1
  • A copy of the police report
  • A completed Disability Certificate (OCF-3)

A Completed Employer’s Confirmation (OCF-2)

Recovering Death and Funeral Benefits

If your loved one dies in a vehicle accident, you can seek compensation on their behalf. When seeking death and funeral benefits, you will need the following:

  • A duly filled and signed OCF-1
  • OCF-4 (An application for Death and Funeral Benefits)
  • Copy of the police receipt
  • Invoice and receipt from the funeral home
  • Death certificate or the coroner’s report

When Your Vehicle is Damaged in an Accident

You can apply for compensation for property damaged because of the accident. You will need the following when making a claim for vehicle damage against your own Insurance Company:

  • A copy of the police report
  • Repair invoice or damage estimate
  • Pictures of the vehicle damage.

Insurance companies assign different adjusters to vehicle damage claims vs. personal injury claims and it is important to understand how to handle each one to make sure your interests are protected.

Contact An Experienced Lawyer Today

If you have been involved in a car accident in Mississauga, you should not face insurance adjusters on your own. Instead, you should contact an experienced lawyer to guide you through the insurance claim requirements and process. At Walter Law Group, we have helped many accident victims to seek compensation for their damages. Contact us today to speak to one of our lawyers.

What Our Clients Say


Come Talk With Us

Our lawyers are ready to help you. Arrange a meeting by calling us at (905) 822-2646 or Email us today.

    Fields marked with an * are required

    Please contact me via...


    We Are Located At:

    1715 Lakeshore Road West
    Suite 103, Mississauga L5J 1J4

    Our Consultation Office: